Note: Preference will be given to qualified full-time employees within the bargaining unit at Sheridan College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
Employee Group: Support Staff
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Applied Health and Community Studies
Campus: Mississauga Civic Centre Child Care Centre (May be assigned activity at any Sheridan campus)
Reference Number: 18/S/134
Hourly Range: $24.63 - $28.55
Hours: Centre hours of operation: 8:00am – 6:00pm - rotating weekly shifts
Application Deadline: November 28, 2018
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Early Childhood Centres and the Associate Dean, Faculty of Applied Health & Community Studies, and following guidelines as outlined in the Child Care and Early Years Act and the Centre’s policy manual, the incumbent plans and implements quality programming for children enrolled; directs and evaluates student teachers on placement; and maintains on-going communication with families, college personnel and the community with respect to the program.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Designing and implementing daily activities based on observation and assessment of individual and group needs and interests;
- Guiding children in all areas of development in accordance with the program philosophy/curriculum;
- Ensuring overall health and safety of children enrolled in the program;
- implementing and designing individual learning plans for children (including children with special needs) during program time as required;
- Maintaining ongoing communications with families, Sheridan faculty and staff, and the community with respect to the program;
- Providing ongoing supervision of the classroom, playground, group and routine activities;
- Demonstrating appropriate classroom strategies to Early Childhood Education students, and assisting, monitoring their daily progress;
- Demonstrating a professional approach and establishing team cohesion to ensure program compatibility;
- Implementing and designing individual learning plans for children within an inclusive environment during program time as required;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Be registered and in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators (which requires the possession a two-year diploma from a recognized Ontario Community College)
- Successful completion of all students’ practicum, with at least one practicum in preschool-aged children and one in a child care centre
- Possess a current Police Vulnerable Sector Screen (criminal reference check) and verification of medical suitability
- Be currently certified in First Aid and Infant/Child CPR (C)
- Have knowledge of and a minimum of one year’s experience using play-based, emergent curriculum in an early learning environment(s)
- Have knowledge of Ontario’s Ministry of Education’s pedagogy for early learning
- Demonstrate leadership and flexibility and has excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Be capable of lifting up to 44 pounds
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com
Sheridan welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Indigenous People, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Sheridan is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. At any stage of the hiring process, Human Resources will work with applicants requesting accommodation.
Note: Copies of educational credentials are requested at the time of an interview. As a condition of employment, Sheridan requires confirmation of educational credentials in the form of an official Canadian transcript or an official evaluation of international credentials which determines Canadian equivalency